Boaters’ Savior, Tourist Delight – Florida Lighthouses
The state of Florida is home to some of the greatest examples of lighthouses in the United States and around the world. Many of the lighthouses are open to the public for viewing and sightseeing and can provide tourists with some wonderful photographs to bring home after a vacation in Florida. Even if there is no public access to these beautiful constructions, you can still get some good shots of the lighthouses from other areas surrounding the building.
The Ponce Inlet Lighthouse is the only lighthouse in Florida that is an historic landmark. It was built in 1887 and is open to the public. Visitors are allowed to climb to the top of the lighthouse and it offers a stunning view from the very top. There are museums on the grounds where visitors can view the keeper’s quarters and some lens exhibits that display some wonderful examples of lighthouse lenses.
St. George Island in Florida is home to the leaning St. George Lighthouse. There is a gift shop and museum on the site, but it is only accessible by boat on the tiny island.
Cape Florida Lighthouse is a stunning example of the conical tower lighthouse made of white washed brick. This lighthouse is open to the public and there is a museum and gift shop on the grounds. Located on Key Biscayne, this beautiful lighthouse makes a wonderful day of sightseeing for the whole family.
Donating to the preservation societies that work to keep these lighthouses open to the public and in good repair help to provide the funds necessary for these groups to do their important work. Car donations or boat donations can be used to get additional funds to keep the construction of the lighthouse intact.
For additional information on these beautiful landmark constructions, use the links below:
- The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation provides an interesting history of the lighthouse and the opportunity to become a member of the organization.
- Loggerhead Lighthouse in Key West, Florida is a part of the Dry Tortugas National Park.
- The Jupiter Lighthouse and Museum is a great place to spend the day enjoying a pioneer home and the fabulous view from this spectacular lighthouse.
- St. Augustine Lighthouse is located in the oldest city in the United States, St. Augustine, Florida. This historic city offers a glimpse into the architecture and lifestyle of the original Spanish inhabitants of this unique city.
- Visit the village of Mayport, to get a glimpse of the Mayport Lighthouse. While it is not open to the public, you can get a view of it from the village. (PDF file)
- Tortugas Harbor Lighthouse, located on Garden Key, is a beautiful example of a house style lighthouse. It is only accessible by boat from Key West.
These are just a few of the fabulous lighthouses that dot the coast of Florida. They make a wonderful photograph and a great way to spend the day with the family on your next trip to Florida
Donate a Car, Boat, Yacht, RV, or Truck anywhere in Florida, (FL) and Support Your Favorite Charity! Car and boat donation service offered in Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Hialeah, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Tallahassee, Vero Beach, Tampa Bay and most other Florida areas is easy, fast, and best of all – there is no charge for picking up your donated property!