Why Select Action Donation Services® to Manage Your Car, Boat, and RV Fundraising Donation Program
“As an experienced non-profit professional, I know that raising money to provide essential services to people in need is a constant challenge. Please be aware that billions of dollars are going to charities every year from property donations and there is no reason why some of that money shouldn’t be going to your non-profit, university, or foundation. One of the best fund-raising ideas that you can put into practice is to have a well-run and managed property donation program.
“I feel strongly that most charities do not have the expertise or the staff manpower to effectively, safely, and profitably handle property donations. Therefore, it is essential that charities have a trusted organization with the experience, expertise, and proper facilities to process property donations in a way that maximizes the income going to the charity and the potential legal tax deduction available to the donor.
“Action Donation Services® handles the property donations for some of America’s finest charities. Action also has unique proprietary skills and experience when it comes to processing high value boats and yachts. The yacht donation market has billion dollar potential!
“I was a non-profit professional for over 30 years, and based on my experience I believe that Action Donation Services® provides the very best property donation management service available for charitable organizations! That is why I have agreed to represent them to their client charities. They are ethical, honest, and they maximize the revenue going to the charity much better than anyone else does. They also do everything possible to maximize the tax deduction available to the donor. I am proud to recommend them without reservation.”
National Director of Client Charity Development
Action Donation Services
How to Get Information About Our Vehicle Donation Fundraising Program
Get information about starting a property donation program for your non-profit by simply filling in the form below and submitting it. I will promptly send you a no-obligation email full of the information you need to answer most of your questions, and allow you to evaluate having Action Donation Services handle all your car, boat, motorhome, and other property donations. Once you have our information, I would be happy to answer any additional remaining questions that you may have.
The ADS Program Is Completely Turn-Key
The ADS program requires little or no additional time or personnel from our client charities to implement. We handle everything for our client charities, including taking the phone calls, scheduling pickups, preparing donated property for sale, handling all the legal paperwork, and providing donors with the proper IRS required donation receipts.
Action’s attention to detail and compliance with all IRS and DMV regulations ensures there is absolutely no risk to utilize our program. Our highly experienced staff is dedicated to providing exemplary customer service to charity donors and client charities.
Tips for Selecting an Organization to Handle Property Donations
It is important that charities do a thorough due diligence comparison of property donation services before contracting with a car donation facilitator. Unfortunately, there are some very undesirable programs in the market place. We are confident that whether you check our program first or last, you will learn that Action Donation Services® has the best program available by far.
Here are some tips for checking out a property donation facilitator:
- Do not decide on a service based on percentage of sale to the charity alone—you get what you pay for. The processing of car and other types of property donations is very competitive, complex, and expensive, and if the percentage promised to the charity sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Although percentages are important to consider, it is more important to compare competing benefits. For example, learn if the facilitator maximizes the value of each donation. Ask if they sell retail. Ask if they repair donated property, etc. If they don’t repair and improve property, your facilitator will be leaving a lot of money on the table, and you may receive perhaps as much as 300% less than you could otherwise receive, resulting in short changing the donor in regard to the donors potential tax deduction.
- Beware of services that claim to charge only a flat fee for handling your property donations and proclaiming, “You get the rest.” For example, if the service says they only charge $250 per vehicle plus the towing charge (which averages about $100)—look out! What they may not be telling you is that the average selling price of donations these days for facilitators who simply pick up vehicles and either take them to the recycler or wholesale them is approximately $150 TO $400 or less. Most of the donations accepted under this plan may return to the charity $50 per donation or less. When donors receive their receipt and learn their donation sold for $400 or less they are often not happy, and this reflects badly on the charity.
- Make sure the facilitator is NOT a non-profit organization. Non-profit facilitators will not refer undesignated donations to you; they will keep them for themselves. You want to have a for-profit organization to facilitate your donations.
- Ask if your potential facilitator will give donors a partial cash payment for qualified donations as an incentive to donate high value property. The IRS calls this a Bargain Sale. Bargain Sale arrangements are a huge incentive for high value donors to choose your charity or foundation to be the recipient of their gift.
- Ask for client charity references. If the service does not want you to talk to their clients, go somewhere else. Be sure to talk to some of the facilitators’ client charities.
- Does the facilitator do any advertising or internet promotion to benefit the charity? Do they provide any free advertising? Are you completely on your own when it comes to promoting your car donation program?
- Does your potential facilitator allow you 24/7 access to their database so you can see the inventory of the donations for your organization while in the process of being sold, along with listing donor detailed contact info, details of sold property, donor source reports, etc.? If you can’t do this, you will be blind to transactions taking place on your behalf.
- Read the contract provided by the service provider carefully. You must have a contract that clearly establishes an Agent/Client relationship between you and your facilitator. If this relationship does not exist, the IRS will disallow any claimed tax deduction by your donor. This creates very unhappy donors and may result in legal action taken against your charity—or at the least some bad publicity. Also, make sure there are plenty of protections for the charity included in the contract.
- The insurance and liability coverage provided by the facilitator should be spelled out in the contract. Make sure you are covered with adequate liability insurance by your facilitator that protects your charity from the time a property is picked up until the time the property is sold.
- Make sure you can cancel the contract at any time without cause. The best and most ethical facilitators will not be afraid to allow you to cancel at any time if you are not completely satisfied with their service!
- Read the IRS publication, A Charities Guide to Car Donations.
Call our toll free number for further information about Action Donation Services’ managed charity vehicle and boat fundraising programs for non-profits. Let us explain how we take care of everything for you and help you to increase your donation income.
Call Toll Free: 866-244-8464