A Life of Giving: The Complete Charity Resource
Charity can be defined as the unconditional giving to people or causes requiring support. The person or organization involved in charity is not related to the disadvantaged party who is being given a donation.
- Modern Charity: Some information on reforms in charities for modern times.
- Charity Explained: Provides information on charity and its wide reaching implications.
- Defining Charity: Discusses Christian charity and practical action.
- Charity or Love: Another definition according to the scriptures.
- Volunteer Charity: A site for people who want to volunteer for charity.
- Nonprofit Law: Tax exemption and the changing views on charity.
The word charity has its origin from charité, an old French word, which was derived from a Latin word caritas. It originally means high price or high value. Although acts of kindness towards the poor and needy have been recorded in ancient manuscripts, there are numerous stories of charitable acts mentioned in the Bible as well. Acts of charity and benevolence were indicated in 12th century texts. Charity during the 15th century meant simple affection towards other people. It was not until the 18th century that charity was used to define a specific act of kindness towards the needy and poor.
- Charity History: Outlines the political history of charity.
- Western Civilization Charity: Focuses on the link between western civilization and charity.
- Philanthropy: The history of charity in American society.
- Charity & Welfare: A look at health care aid for the poor in medieval Catalonia.
- Muslim Charity: A history of charity in the Muslim world.
Types of Giving
Charity is usually meant for the orphans, widows, sick, disabled, and the aged people who have no one to look after them. Charitable causes and charity can be of several types. Nonprofit charitable organizations can range from shelters for the homeless, organizations for disabled, monetary donations, programs for youth, volunteering, hospitals, donating resources, animal rights organizations, health care clinics, military groups, emergency relief organizations, and human right organizations.
- Charity Types: An overview of the main charitable causes.
- Types of Giving: Provides information on donors and making gifts.
- Donate Property such as cars, boats, motorhomes, trucks, heavy equipment.
A charitable organization falls under the category of a non-profit organization (NPO). In the US, there are nonprofit laws which are set in place to regulate those organizations. Certain laws deal with the taxation of nonprofits while some other laws are concerned with the prevention of charitable frauds and tax exceptions. Nonprofits can be general non-profits such as the American Red Cross and some others are private charities like country clubs.
- Charity Fundraising Resource: The center offers a choice of charity options and fundraising news.
- How to Start a Yacht and High Value Vessel charity fundraising program.
- Universal Giving: A marketplace allowing people to volunteer with the top charity projects of the world.
- Empowering Nonprofits: More information on charities and empowerment of nonprofit organizations.
- Nonprofit Innovation: Nonprofit sector regulations and innovative thinking.
- Nonprofit and Civic Engagement: Details the relation between civic engagement and nonprofits.
- ICNL: The official site of the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law.
There are some important charitable organizations which are actively involved in helping the poor and needy. Charitable organizations can be public charities or private foundations. No matter the form or name, their ultimate goal is to provide for the people who are underprivileged and eventually empower them.
- Wade’s Charity: Another name for the Charities of Thomas Wade.
- Sisters of Charity: A history of the charitable organization called Sisters of Charity.
- Mother Teresa: Homepage of the Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity.
- World Villages: A leading charity organization active in countries like Korea and Brazil.
- Charity List: A comprehensive list of nonprofit organizations.
- Africare: A nonprofit organization dedicated to helping the needy in Africa.
- Charity Listing: Non-profits that accept cars, boats, RVs, and other property.