Amateurs can experience building a boat the same way professionals do. Avid boat lovers can build anything from a small model boat all the way up to a beautiful house boat. There are many resources available to help you set sail, whether you’d constructing your own boat or plan on joining a friend on the high seas.
- Community of boat builders: Find out everything you want to know from the History to the latest advancements in boats.
- Amateur boat builder: Kits that allow boat enthusiasts to build their own boat and save money.
- BoatBuilding.net: Workshops are offered by a gifted instructor to help learn the process of building a great boat.
- Boat Building Methods: Tips and tricks on building boats with various materials, from plywood to fiberglass.
- Boatbuilding Books: A great list of books on how to build boats and the best ways to construct them.
Boat Design and Plans
- Free Boat Design Resources: Boat designs that are free, plus how-to articles. There is even stuff for amateurs.
- BoatDesign.net: Designs available for power and sailing. Build anything from an aluminum boat to a house boat.
- Boat and Yacht plans: Won an award at the wooden box show. Numerous information for boat and yacht plans.
Glossaries & Dictionaries
- Schooner Vocabulary: Dictionary of (boating terms) which includes: Naval, ships, seafaring, schooner, and sailing.
- Maritime Glossary: All of the boating terminology is listed from a-to-z.
- Boat Stats: This glossary will assist in the understanding of different boating terms.
- Boating Basics: A list compiled of all of the necessary needed boating terms.
Seamanship & Safety
- The Master’s Series: A digital magazine with helpful information to keep everyone safe.
- Boat Links: A compiled list of all safety information for any kind of boat out there.
- Boat Donations: A well-versed mariner knows when it’s time to donate the old boat and start building a new one.
- Textbook of Seamanship: Originally written in 1891, this sail textbook outlines all aspects of seamanship from knot tying to sailing in a storm.
Weather & Tides
- National Weather Service Marine Forecasts: Provides forecasts for all major port locations.
- Marina Life: Enter the zip code of the sailing point and information will appear regarding the weather and tides of that area.
- Mukilteo: Resources and links pertaining to safety of weather and tides and current weather information.
- YBW: Updated information that shows wind velocity and weather planner.
Lighthouses & Lightships
- The Huron Lightship: A lightship that floats. Originally launched in 1920 this lightship has a bright light at the top of her mast.
- Lighthouse Directory: A directory of over 10,000 lighthouses around the world.
- Lighthouse Society: Surviving Historic Lightships in America. There are only seventeen left, which are housed in private hands or Museums.
- Lighthouse Theme Page: Wonderful collection of lighthouse resources.
Magazines & Periodicals
- Ware Seeker: Free downloaded classic boating magazine.
- Blue Water: A list of International magazines and links to them for downloading.
- Cruising: An online catalog of a wide array of boating publications.
- Boating Life: A magazine for recreational boat fanatics.
- Professional Mariner: A journal for employees of the maritime industry.
- Boating Magazine: One of the largest powerboat magazines out there.
Privateers, Vikings, and Pirates
- Piracy: Included is the History of Maritime piracy dating back hundreds of years.
- Time Turk: Information pertaining to today’s pirates in the ‘Golden Age’.
- Pirate Dictionary: Definitions of everything needed to know about pirates.
- The Vikings: A great PBS site dedicated to the history and legend behind the Vikings.