Amateurs can experience building a boat the same way professionals do. Avid boat lovers can build anything from a small model boat all the way up to a beautiful house boat. There are many resources available to help you set sail, whether you’d constructing your own boat or plan on joining a friend on the high seas.
- Amateur boat builder: Kits that allow boat enthusiasts to build their own boat and save money.
- Boat Building Methods: Tips and tricks on building boats with various materials, from plywood to fiberglass.
- Boatbuilding Books: A great list of books on how to build boats and the best ways to construct them.
Boat Design and Plans
- BoatDesign.net: Designs available for power and sailing. Build anything from an aluminum boat to a house boat.
- Boat and Yacht plans: Won an award at the wooden box show. Numerous information for boat and yacht plans.
Glossaries & Dictionaries
- Schooner Vocabulary: Dictionary of (boating terms) which includes: Naval, ships, seafaring, schooner, and sailing.
Seamanship & Safety
- Boat Links: A compiled list of all safety information for any kind of boat out there.
- Boat and Yacht Donations: A well-versed mariner knows when it’s time to donate the old boat and start building a new one.
- Textbook of Seamanship: Originally written in 1891, this sail textbook outlines all aspects of seamanship from knot tying to sailing in a storm.
- https://www.buyrope.co.uk/boat-safety-resources/ – boat safety resources for all ages
- https://www.boat-ed.com/ – Online boating safety courses and license
- https://www.wirefence.co.uk/boating-glossary/ – glossary of boating terms
Weather & Tides
- National Weather Service Marine Forecasts: Provides forecasts for all major port locations.
- YBW: Updated information that shows wind velocity and weather planner.
Lighthouses & Lightships
- The Huron Lightship: A lightship that floats. Originally launched in 1920 this lightship has a bright light at the top of her mast.
- Lighthouse Society: Surviving Historic Lightships in America. There are only seventeen left, which are housed in private hands or Museums.
Magazines & Periodicals
- Boating Life: A magazine for recreational boat fanatics.
- Professional Mariner: A journal for employees of the maritime industry.
- Yacht Brokers and Vessel Donations.
- Boating Magazine: One of the largest powerboat magazines out there.